Six Surprising Reasons A Gecko Should Be Your Next Pet
Thinking about getting a pet? Before you adopt a dog or invest in an aquarium, consider going with something different. Geckos make great pets for families with children of all ages.
Six surprising reasons you should get a gecko are:
- Many geckos are docile, by nature. If you have children, choose a docile gecko to bring home, like the leopard gecko. These little guys are mellow and vibrantly-colored, each pattern quite distinctive. This breed of gecko typically grows to be around ten-inches long, which makes them a smaller species.
- They are fun to watch. You might think lizards are boring, but geckos are actually quite interesting to watch. Geckos also do well in pairs, but if you are thinking about more than one, don't put males together as they can become aggressive with one another.
- Geckos contribute to health and well-being. It is widely accepted that spending time with pets can reduce blood pressure and alleviate stress, but geckos also offer some other intriguing health benefits. Did you know that exposure to a gecko can reduce the growth of tumors? It is also theorized that handling and being around geckos can prevent some types of cancer.
- They don't mind being handled. Another reason to get a gecko is that they don't mind being handled, which makes them an interactive pet for children of all ages. Leopard geckos, in particular, are known for their gentle disposition and suitability for young pet-owners.
- Geckos are easy to care for. Geckos are easy to take care of, requiring a simple glass terrarium with a fitted screen top for a habitat. Geckos primarily eat insects, though some larger species also eat small rodents. Talk to your pet supply vendor about the best foods for your specific gecko.
- They live a long life. The sixth reason why a gecko makes a great pet is that they live a long life. Most domesticated geckos live up to 20 years, which makes them a pet that your child will enjoy for years and years.
Look for a local pet supply store that has leopard geckos for sale, and talk to them about equipment, food, and features to keep your gecko happy and healthy. They will offer additional care tips before you leave with your gecko.
Consider buying a gecko for your family. It has been shown that pet ownership has some health benefits, and geckos are easy to keep while still being lots of fun. Visit a pet supply store in your region to find the right gecko for your home!